Friday, March 18, 2011

Hot Chocolate


Hot chocolate is like an old friend. I snuggle up next the fire in the morning while everyone else is asleep and enjoy a cup. I don't like how much sugar (and other inert ingredients, what is that stuff?) they put in store bought mix, and gourmet mix is too fattening (I enjoyed an entire canister of a specialty store's gourmet cocoa in one month. 5 lbs later, trust me I know). So, I came up with my own recipe.


HEAVENLY HOT COCOA

In a pint jar mix equal parts: (I started with equal parts, but now I cut back on the sugar a bit)

cocoa powder -Baker's is my favorite
sugar- I like to use evaporated cane sugar but white sugar is fine too
pinch of salt

Stir ingredients thoroughly with a fork to blend. Store in a cool dark place.

Heat milk in a mug. (99 seconds in my microwave) Add one gently heaping spoonful and stir. It is much stronger than store bought so take it easy until you figure out how much you like. I figure there are less than 50 calories per serving, plus your milk. That's what I call guilt free!

3 comments:

  1. Just a disclaimer- this doesn't mix with cold milk at all. It takes a little more to stir up in hot milk than say Nesquik or any other brand. I like it because it's low calorie and I know exactly what I put in it! Thanks for following the blog, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cocoa, sugar, salt. I think I can handle this one! :-) Looks Delicious!

    ReplyDelete