Sunday, September 20, 2009

Died and Gone to Heaven Chocolate Cake



My friend Amy gave me this recipe, I jacked it up a bit with some extra chocolate. It is heavenly. I have only cooked this in a bundt pan, but I would think you could use a 9x13 pan if you don't have one.
Set oven to 350

1 package of chocolate cake mix- any type of chocolate. Do not follow directions on package.
1 large package Instant chocolate pudding, do not follow directions on package, just dump it in.
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup warm water
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream- I have used plain yogurt in a pinch
1/2 package chocolate chips

In a large mixing bowl add all of the above ingredients and stir until thoroughly mixed.
Grease and flour a bundt pan.
spread the batter evenly in the pan

Bake for 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean (unless you stabbed a chocolate chip)

Frosting:
in a small saucepan heat 1/2 cup of milk until it just comes to a boil.
add 1 tbs butter
remove from heat and add 1/2 package of chocolate chips
Stir until smooth and creamy


If you want to make it even more elegant add a raspberry sauce:
1 bag frozen raspberries, thawed
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 c. sugar

Put it all in a blender and puree. For my picture I put it in a reusable ketchup bottle (like you would see in a diner a few decades ago) in order to get the swirls on my plate. You can also put the sauce in a ziploc bag, cut off the corner, and use it like a frosting bag.

2 comments:

  1. Wow - that looks divine! I've got everything on hand except for chocolate chips (can you beleive that!?). I'm not a fan of fruit and chocolate... do you think I should come up with something else to go on top, or is it still wonderful with out? I'm guessing it's not a dry cake? Love the blog Terri!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cake is pretty moist without the chocolate frosting. Do you have any baking chocolate? You can melt it with some sugar and milk to make a frosting. Or if you have any Betty Crocker frosting from the last promo. . . I've put that on top too. (it tastes more homemade when its warm!)

    ReplyDelete